A Very Brady New Start

My siblings think I survive on mind candy and pop culture, so here is an attempt to use them to say something significant about the new year.


"Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" How many times have we heard those words, both in the original "Brady Bunch" or parodied on shows such as "Saturday Night Live?" We can't deny the impact, whether for good or for bad.

Last October Maureen McCormick a/k/a Marcia Brady released her memoir, Here's the Story: Surviving Marcia Brady and Finding My True Voice. Now in her fifties and a wife and mother, McCormick shares how she came through hard times of depression, drugs and sex for hire to find peace and fulfillment when she found God. She writes, "Jerry Houser, who played my husband on "The Brady Brides," took me to church one day. It was an amazing thing for me. I totally reconnected with God. This is where I met my husband Michael--it was love at first sight. I started praying that if God was really there, he would come into my life, because I felt totally dead spiritually. It was the start of me getting clean."

Of course, naysayers may say what they want, but no one can argue with the miracle of God in a changed life. It is equally as strong as the miracle of sight regained or lameness cast away or the healing of a marriage as chronicled in the recent "Fireproof," which spent a couple of months in theatres here on Guam. Marisol and I did not get a chance to see it because we don't get out too much without Joel and Amelia, but we hope to watch it sometimes once it hits DVD. We have heard some of the stories about the impact left on marriages that needed help.

I hope that more positive stories of changed lives such as McCormick's and "Fireproof" come to light for they remind me, in the words of Oswald Chambers, to "leave the irreparable past in His hands, and step out into the irresistable future with Him" (December 31). It is my hope and prayer that we can leave the past behind and "press toward the mark for the high calling of God in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:14).

Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye Guam, Alii Palau!

Amelia says, "Goodbye, Long Hair!"

GOOD THINGS HAPPENING 3