Guilty Pleasure!

Last Friday night the female staff of Pacific Islands Bible College had a Ladies Night to talk about marriage, dating, and relationships with the female students. I stayed home and put Joel to bed. Then I watched the final two episodes of the third season of "Homicide." (We do not have any TV reception here, so the only TV we get is by VHS or DVD). My mom used to ask me why I watched "Homicide" because in her mind it was a depressing show. To me it always dealt with serious issues in a meaningful way (racism against immigrants, the consequences of adultery, male/female work conflicts, etc.), plus the writing was rivoting and the performances were stellar. That was really the last TV show I had a true passion for.

I enjoyed having the time to do that, to have some down time to escape from students arriving late to class,; grading papers, tests and quizzes; and dealing with discipline issues as Assistant Dean of Men.

Here I present to you a list of my favorite TV drama series of all time. Some are more acclaimed than others. But these are shows that have been special to me throughout different eras of my life.

1. The Waltons--this is my all-time favorite, especially the early years. I have even met many of the cast members over the years at reunion events. That was fun!
The rest of these are in no particular order.
2. Little House on the Prairie--this series diminished as the years went on, even more than "The Waltons" did. But I loved watching the characters grow and comparing the stories to the "Little House" books, which I continue to read to this day. I just finished the series of books about Rose Wilder Lane, Laura and Almanzo's daughter.
3. Homicide--described above and filmed on location in Baltimore.
4. I'll Fly Away--lasted two seasons, a highly acclaimed series that took place during the fight for civil rights in the 1960s, filmed in the Atlanta area. Later shown on PBS, which added one concluding TV movie. I visited some of the filming sites during a trip to Atlanta some years ago.
5. The Paper Chase--only lasted one season on CBS and starred John Houseman, who won an Oscar for the role of Professor Kingsfield, which he reprised for the series. Later rerun on PBS; Showtime later filmed additional episodes with some of the same cast, but I never saw those episodes.
6. The Rockford Files--I loved this show with James Garner and his unlikely friend Angel (Stuart Margolin) who always managed to mess everything up.
7. Tour of Duty--Vietnam era series which showed the ups and downs of a platoon. The first season was filmed in Hawaii with seasons two and three in CA. Purcell was played by the same actor who played Elizabeth's boyfriend on "The Waltons," Tony Becker.
8. Shirley--late 1970s series with Shirley Jones playing a widow with three or four children. As far as I know, this series has never been rerun. Shirley sang the theme song, which I think was called, "Where the Love Is."
9. Law and Order--this series goes on and on. For me it has lost some of its appeal since Jerry Orbach left for a spinoff and then died. It is supposedly in danger of cancellation this year. But the theme song is inimitable.
10. Trapper John, MD--this is a "MASH" spinoff that lasted several years with Pernell Roberts as a mature Trapper John and Gregory Harrison as Gonzo, a type of young "Trapper John" character. My parents and I used to watch this on Sunday nights after church, and that memory helps to endear this show to me. Judy Garland's daughter Lorna Luft played a nurse in the final seasons.

Wow, that was fun. I would love to hear from some of you about your favorite drama series. I am sure that I forgot some good ones. Stay tuned for my favorite comedy series, movies, and Broadway shows, coming soon to a blog near you.

Comments

Bill said…
Fifth season of The Waltons out on DVD this week!

I share your love of (1) Homicide and (2) I'll Fly Away, although I haven't seen the latter since it originally aired (or maybe the PBS repeats?). I might have some videotapes somewhere I'll have to dig out.

I enjoyed all of the relatively short runs of (3) China Beach, (4) Relativity, and (5) Once and Again (the latter two from Thirtysomething creators). The last two could qualify as guilty pleasures, I suppose, as they're more soap-operaish, with family at the core. The current Brothers and Sisters also fit the bill, although I won't give them a qualifying numeral just yet.

How could I forget my love for (6) Cagney and Lacey, although I'm not sure I could watch much of it today.

It's been hard to love anything recently from first to last episodes, but the first three seasons of (7) the Gilmore Girls, the second season of (8) Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the first season of (9) Everwood, the first season of (10) Lost, with somewhat declining returns since then, are all great television.

And DVDs certainly allow one to catch up on shows one might have missed. I'm about nine episodes into the first season of (11) Veronica Mars, and this Nancy Drew meets Phillip Marlowe meets the O.C. is pretty terrific. And, to link back to the beginning of your post, it features Kyle Secor, aka Detective Tim Bayliss, as Jake Kane, software billionaire and father of Veronica's murdered best friend.
Bill said…
Addendum to previous comment:

How could I forget the first three seasons of The Sopranos! (Although did I ever really love The Sopranos? Hmmm.)

I also forgot The Wire, which would probably need to head the list. It has a similar pedigree (David Simon) and setting (Baltimore, cops) to Homicide, but doesn't have to worry about commercial interruptions or censorship issues.
Bill said…
Apologies for dominating this discussion (get yer own blog!), but how could I forget the first season of the new Battlestar Galactica! Exceptional. Although again, quality/enjoyment has declined in later seasons.
Elizabeth said…
And how exactly can we encourage some power-that-is to put I'll Fly Away out on DVD? I found all these reviews very entertaining. I'll have to make a NetFlix list. Although, dear brother, if you would be willing to lend me a GG season or two, that would be fab. :) Brian's parents just went to "Walton's Mountain"--"you must go!" they said.
Bill said…
How could I forget the best show of the 2006-2007 season - Friday Night Lights! Not sure how they can improve/maintain on the first season quality, but the first season was amazing.

Dear sister, if you're reading, I'll see if I have room for the first season of GG in my bag, otherwise I'll mail it to you.
Elizabeth said…
Sorry for hijacking your comments, Ned and Marisol!

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye Guam, Alii Palau!

Amelia says, "Goodbye, Long Hair!"

GOOD THINGS HAPPENING 3