If I Were a Rich Man. . .

Perhaps some of you remember the Tony-winning turn of Zero Mostel in Fiddler on the Roof.  His character Tevye sang the Broadway hit song "If I Were a Rich Man."  Parts of the lyrics run like this:



"Dear God, you made many, many poor people
I realize, of course, that it's no shame to be poor
But it's no great honor either!
So, what would have been so terrible if I had a small fortune?"

If I were a rich man
Ya ba dibba dibba dibba dibba dibba dibba dum
All day long I'd biddy biddy bum
If I were a wealthy man
I wouldn't have to work hard
Ya ba dibba dibba dibba dibba dibba dibba dum
If I were a biddy biddy rich
Yidle-diddle-didle-didle man

I'd build a big tall house with rooms by the dozen
Right in the middle of the town
A fine tin roof with real wooden floors below
There would be one long staircase just going up
And one even longer coming down
And one more leading nowhere, just for show. . . .

(Credits: Lyrics, Sheldon Harnick; Music, Jerry Bock)


I suppose these word express the honest longings of many people's hearts and dreams.  Many of you know that I am a devoted fan of the show The Waltons and have gotten to know and correspond with some members of the cast over the years.  I recall a conversation with Michael Learned (Olivia Walton) a few years ago.  She mentioned to me that she discouraged her granddaughter from becoming an actor because of the "low pay."  I admit that I had to chuckle at that remark.  I understand what she means.  Many working actors struggle to make ends meet because actors are many and jobs are few.  Also, the acting jobs happen in high cost areas where rents are certainly not cheap.

I told Michael that I could relate to the low pay.  Without complaining I related that missionaries are not known for their high salaries.  In fact, it would be fair to say that no missionaries go to the mission field for the pay.  Still, the fringe benefits are enormous.  It is a blessing without equal to know that one is in the center of God's will and calling, and He rewards me every single day, even on the bad or difficult days.

My friend and roommate from my Spearhead days in Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico, in 1991 has told me many times that I am a rich man.  Let me explain.  When I roomed with Jeff, I longed for a wife and a family.  Really, it was a distant dream and longing for there were no prospects on my horizon.  I had never had a serious relationship with a woman.  When Jeff and other friends got married and said "I do" shortly after our Spearhead experience, I struggled and wondered if my moment would ever arrive.  It wasn't until meeting Marisol and moving to Ecuador in 1998 that the emotional tables turned for me.  By then I had grappled with God over my marital status and had accepted my singleness.  Then, God honored my desires and at age 37 Marisol became my lawfully wedded wife.



Over time God added to my family four children, and with each addition the blessing increased.  God knows exactly what we need and He graciously gives and provides.  Today my family celebrated Father's Day with me.  We had a good day together, as always.  Marisol and the kids made five or six different kinds of homemade pizza (at my request) and I made lemon squares (with lemon juice from our garden's lemon tree) for dessert.  The meal was fabulous, especially the pizza.






After lunch we posed for our annual Father's Day photo before listening to two episodes of Adventures in Odyssey.  In the picture my T-shirt reads, "My favorite people call me DAD."  I like the T-shirt very much; however, I would add one thing: "My best friend calls me ESPOSO (HUSBAND)."


Unlike Tevye, my quest has ended: I am a wealthy man.  Of course, my riches are not measured in material wealth.  My richness comes from spiritual treasure and the unending devotion of my wife and kids.  That, my friends, is wealth that the world cannot grab from my hands.

19 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" (Matthew 6:19-21, NIV).

Thanks for following me on this journey of life.  God bless you all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye Guam, Alii Palau!

Amelia says, "Goodbye, Long Hair!"

GOOD THINGS HAPPENING 3