Day of the Dead (Finados) 2014, Part 2

On Sunday, November 2, 2014 (All Soul's Day in English) we visited the cemetery in Cotacachi to show Morgan what happens there.  Many people visit to clean, paint the graves of their dead loved ones.  This is the grave of Marisol's Aunt Marlene's husband Ramiro who died in November 2001, a few months after I arrived in Ecuador as a missionary the first time.  He always encouraged Marisol and me in our relationship and was so pleased when we announced our engagement.  Unfortunately he passed away before our wedding day on July 7, 2002.

Here is the grave of a member of the Cotacachi church where I serve as pastor.  I am good friends with his widow, and his granddaughter serves on the ministry team of the church.

On this day people go to the cemetery to hang out and "spend time" with their departed friends and family.

Morgan, Joel and Marisol gaze at the tombs of Marisol's Aunt Nancy and her husband Germán.  Both succumbed to cancer within a two year span of each other.  So sad!



You can see Elías, Marisol and Jacob climbing the stairs to the section where the indigenous people eat lunch at the gravesites of their dead family members.  This custom is also common in Mexico, where I lived for over two years.  There, even more so!




It is always an interesting cultural education to go and witness the Day of the Dead.  I am thankful for the life that I have in Christ, abundant life on earth and eternal life in heaven.  That is my hope for all my friends and family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye Guam, Alii Palau!

Amelia says, "Goodbye, Long Hair!"

GOOD THINGS HAPPENING 3