Remembering My Friend Steve

A couple weeks ago my mom called me with some very sad news. My friend, Steve Johnson, died when the modified bicycle he was driving collided with a local ambulance. It is hard for me to describe the empty feeling that overcame me at that moment. I met Steve in the early 1990s when both of us were working at the Olivet Boys and Girls Club in Glenside, Reading, and his zest for life and love for people made a deep impression on me. He always sported an infectious smile.
Over ten years ago Steve had a bike accident in which he lost the use of his legs. I remember how upbeat he was when I visited him in the hospital in Allentown. He certainly didn't complain about his circumstances. When I decided to go to Ecuador as a missionary in 2001 Steve and his wife Kate invited me to their house to find out more about my plans.
Since then he and his family have been good friends and supporters. Especially this summer during our difficult transition back to life in the States they invited us to their house on a few occasions and encouraged us. Our children have become good friends with their two daughters. A few weeks ago at the First Presbyterian Church (Reading) picnic, where our family participated in the children's program, I asked him for a picture. He seemed very excited to have a picture with Pepe the Clown. I'm not exactly what prompted me to take the picture, but I'm glad that I did. Although I miss him very much, I find comfort in knowing that he is running (knowing Steve, he's certainly NOT walking) through heaven. He is living the eternal life that is the living hope for all of us children of God.
Please keep Steve's wife Kate and his daughters in your prayers during this time.

Comments

Bill said…
So sorry for the loss of your friend. I'm glad you had a chance to visit with him recently.
kate said…
Dear Ned, Thanks so very much for your beautiful words. How wonderful it was to see Steve and Pepe smiling together! I had forgotten that we took that picture, and it was so cute. love you lots, kate
kate said…
Thank you Ned,
It has been wonderful being able to spend more time with you, Marisol, Joel and Amelia this summer. I'm so glad that Steve and Pepe have an everlasting smile in that photo...love,k
Thanks, Bill, for leaving the comment, and to Kate, for reading my post. Great memories indeed and more to come in eternity! Love, Ned

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye Guam, Alii Palau!

Amelia says, "Goodbye, Long Hair!"

GOOD THINGS HAPPENING 3