Mysterious Ways

Many of you know that I spent ten years being a religious volunteer at Berks County Prison in PA. During the last couple of those years I served with Yokefellowship, an interdenominational ministry that allows the men and women volunteers to go into the cell blocks and lead the prisoners in Bible studies. I really enjoyed that because it gave us the opportunity to get to know the men well as we spent one night each week with them. One man that I became aquainted with was Luis. He and I met in 2000, and when I left PA for Ecuador in 2001 we began corresponding regularly. When I returned to PA with my family for my study furlough from 2004-06 we continued to write, and I went to visit him one time at Dallas (PA) Correctional Institution. We really enjoyed our afternoon together. Even here in Guam we wrote back and forth. He received his GED and became a plumber.

Luis wrote me a letter in March of this year when we were getting the team ready for the mission trip to Palau in June. I did not respond right away and when we returned from Palau and I finally answered, the letter came back month later with the word "paroled" written on the envelope. Of course, I was happy for Luis, but I must admit I was a bit sad as well because I knew that it meant I would probably never hear from him again. Such is the normal relationship between religious volunteer and former prisoner. I started praying differently for him, that God would keep him from the evil one and guide him to people who would help him stay on track. I wrote to the chaplain at Dallas to see if there was any way that he could get me in contact with Luis. I realized that it was a long shot at best.

The following week I received an email message from our pastor in Reading, PA. He surprised me with the news that Luis was attending our church there. One of the members of the church grew up with Luis and invited him without knowing of Luis and my relationship. She realized that he knew me when he showed her some family pictures that we had sent him. I started crying tears of joy and thanked the Lord for two things, that I knew where Luis was and that there were people who would help him through the often difficult process of readjustment to the outside world. I answered my pastor and told him how thrilled I was at God's answer to my prayers.

Last Sunday Luis called me at 6 am to say hi. He told me that he participates in a rehabilitation program and already has found a job. It was so great to hear his voice again. I can't wait to be able to see him again someday. Please pray for Luis and for his growth in the Lord.

God works in mysterious ways. God is good!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye Guam, Alii Palau!

Amelia says, "Goodbye, Long Hair!"

GOOD THINGS HAPPENING 3