"A good father is one of the most unsung, unpraised, unnoticed, and yet one of the most valuable assets in our society" (Billy Graham).
I recently ran across this quote, and it made me remember Dad. Often, society does not seem to understand the importance of fathers in its quest to recognize different kinds of families. Accepting all families should not eclipse the fact that fathers add stability to the upbringing of children. Studying prison statistics confirms this information.
I must say that this year, with the earthly loss of Mom, has been very sad for me. Is it okay to admit that sadness, as a missionary and Christian leader? Vulnerability is something that people have challenged me about in the past. It's hard to know where to draw the line; yet, I want to be recognized as part of the human race and not elevated to an unreal pedestal impossible to achieve.
"My father didn't do anything unusual. He only did what dads are supposed to do--be there" (Max Lucado).
Dad was certainly there. He taught elementary school for over thirty years, specializing in science with experiments such as launching hot air balloons, dipping homemade candles, building a solar heater with his students, etc. But every night, Dad came home and was available to help us with homework, instill godly advice, play with us, and tell corny jokes. Every summer, since he was off from school, meant fun family vacations in our camper. One summer, we even travelled to California. That was quite an adventure that I can share about another time.
"Every son quotes his father, in words and in deeds" (Terri Guillemets).
In my case, I certainly hope that is true. Dad lived out his faith from the day that he became a Jesus follower at a summer camp to the March 23, 2018, the day that he departed for heaven. Two of our birdies have left the nest, and two remain. I want to live each day as a good father, which is not an easy task in 2026. Many challenges come up, but God does not call us to impossible tasks. Parenting is a life sentence, and I want to fulfill my responsibility with goodness and grace.
HELP ME, JESUS!
Comments