Star Gazing in New York

In July I spent two days in New York City with my college friend Bill. We packed a bunch of enjoyable activities into two day. We "met" William Shakespeare during our walk in Central Park.

I posed with the Monument to Balzac by Auguste Rodin at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA). Alas, "The Persistence of Memory" by Salvador DalĂ­ was on loan. I've always wanted to see that. Next time!

Bill and I went to see the new play by Terrence McNally, "Deuce." In the play a pair of tennis champions reunite for an awards ceremony and reminisce about life, love, and their experience as doubles partners. It was fun meeting actress Marian Seldes after the play. I had seen her previously in the ill-fated "Annie" sequel, "Annie 2: Miss Hannigan's Revenge," which closed following its Washington, D.C. tryout in 1990. A charming, gifted and gracious person indeed who took time to speak to each person waiting to meet her.

The other tennis player was played by none other than Angela Lansbury, a winner of four Tony Awards but more recent years involved more in television work. I have many good memories of my ritual of watching "Murder, She Wrote" with my parents after Sunday evening church. At 81, she still knows how to maintain the attention of her audiences. Bravo, Angela! Welcome back to Broadway!

We also saw the musical "110 in the Shade" by the composers of "The Fantasticks" (Harvey Schmidt and Tom Jones), the show I performed in during my Houghton years. "110 in the Shade" centers around the loveless life of a spinster named Lizzie who gets to know herself and the world around her better during the course of the show. Audra McDonald delivered a winning performance with splendid singing and remarkable acting. If you ever get a chance to see her, don't pass up the opportunity.
Thanks, Bill, for a wonderful time. I always cherish the time that we get to spend together.

Comments

Elizabeth said…
I told Bill that due to your "star gazing," we are now much closer to so many stars than "six degrees!" Bravo to you for daring to meet them!
Bill said…
It was a delight to visit with your family and to have a boys' day out in NYC together. Thanks for my first ever blog photo appearance!
Thanks for checking our forum so regularly. We need to give you both a prize for being our most faithful readers.

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye Guam, Alii Palau!

Amelia says, "Goodbye, Long Hair!"

GOOD THINGS HAPPENING 3